SetRite Education & Migration consultants– helping students with the Temporary Graduate Visa 485 (TR Visa)

Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485: This is a temporary visa for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution. Temporary Graduate visa Subclass 485 is an excellent way for students studying in Australia to get professional work experience after the completion of their courses and gain more exposure in their field of study. This visa allows you to live, work and extend your stay temporarily after the completion of your studies in Australia.

Qualification and Eligibility

Only graduates are eligible to apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa 485. Applicants must:

  • be under 50 years of age,
  • hold a student visa (or a Bridging Visa A or B following a student visa),
  • have been awarded a qualification from a CRICOS registered course within the last six months, and
  • Meet additional requirements specific to their chosen stream.

Family members may be included in an application for a subclass 485 visa if they are also in Australia. Applicants and any migrating family members must be in Australia at the time of lodgement of the application, and at the time of the decision.

Applicants must provide evidence that they have applied for the relevant police checks, as well as a skills assessment if applicable, within the 12 months prior to the lodgement of the application.

Applicants must also demonstrate the requisite English language proficiency and hold sufficient health insurance at the time of application.

There are two streams through which an applicant may obtain a 485 visa; these are:

The Graduate Stream: For international students, with an eligible qualification, who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to occupations in MLTSSL. A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.

The Post-Study Work Stream: This stream is only applicable for students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. International students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study, may be eligible. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date of grant, depending on the applicant’s qualification.

Extra one- or two-year visa for International Graduates from Regional Institutions: The Department of Home Affairs has announced a new initiative for an additional Temporary Graduate visa with an extra one or two year of post-study work rights for international students who:

  • graduate from the regional campus of a registered university or institution with higher education or postgraduate qualification; and
  • maintain an ongoing residence in a regional area while holding their first Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa

The second Temporary Graduate visa will require an ongoing residence in a regional area.

Why us?

SetRite Education and Migration consultants are leading immigration consultants in Australia. Our trained and experienced immigration consultants will assist you at each step for applying for TR under this visa. We ensure that your journey in the ‘Land Down Under’ is smooth and hassle-free. For more information on Temporary Graduate visa 485, get in touch with our team.